I’m the first one to say I dislike salads… I mean, who doesn’t like a heaping a bowl of rice, beans and meat! But I’ve come to love a salad packed with different toppings and flavor. This may seem super complicated but the majority can be made in advance and stored for when you’re ready to eat! It’s so worth the effort and your taste buds are going to thank you.
Quinoa, Potato, Zucchini, Egg & Kale Salad
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (1/2 cup when uncooked and cook with 1 cup water, drain after its done)
- 1/4 cup onion, diced small
- 1/4 cup red pepper, diced small
- 1 TSP pickled jalapeño, minced
- 1/2 of a lime, squeezed
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cook quinoa and drain. Allow to cool. Mix together with vegetables and lime, season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- 1 small/med zucchini sliced into pickle like slices
- 3 gloves garlic cut into fourths
- 3/4 cup vinegar
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
Bring all ingredients to a light boil except garlic and zucchini. Arrange zucchini and garlic in a glass container and pour warm vinegar mix over it. Allow to refrigerate for 24 hours. Will keep for 5-7 days.
Soft boiled egg:
Boil egg(s) in cold water to begin and remove from heat once a rolling boil. Let sit for 6-9 minutes covered and then rinse with cold water. Remove shell and cut in half!
- 1 medium sized potato, diced
Dice potatoes in small pieces and boil to make soft. Toss in parsley sauce when finished.
- 1 cup kale per serving
Chop kale into bite sized pieces. In a non stick pan, add a small amount of water, let warm up. Add kale. Mix until bright green and a little soft. Add salt and pepper.
- 1 cup parsley (loosely packed, stems and all) or 1/2 each parsley and cilantro
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 juice of a large lime
- 4 cloves of garlic (more or less to your taste! Garlic makes this so good though!)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Red pepper flakes (more or less to your taste!)
Rinse parsley and dry with paper towels. Add garlic to bottom on food processor followed by juice of a lime, salt, pepper, and red pepper. Add 1/4 cup of olive oil to begin blending. Add remaining olive oil slowly until you have a creamy consistency.
To prepare salad:
- Place kale on the bottom on a plate or bowl.
- Add 1 helping of quinoa in one corner
- Add 1 helping of parsley tossed potatoes in another
- Add zucchini in another cornerPlace egg in the middle.
- Drizzle chimmichurri on top.