This is one of my favorite dishes! Rice AND Potatoes?! Sign me up.
Lomo Saltado hails from Peru and if you’ve ever been to Jackson Heights, NY, you know you have many options for eating Peruvian food. While I’d LOVE to eat it at my favorite restaurant every night, making it at home can be just as tasty!
- 1 lb. Sirloin Steak, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 3 Russet Potatoes, cut into french fries, soak in water until ready to cook
- 4 Roma Tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 small Red Onions, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 + 1/4 cup Peru Kikko Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar or Red Wine
- ½ tsp. Ají Amarillo Pepper paste
- 1 tsp minced parsley or cilantro
- Oil for frying potatoes
- 1/2 cups Long Grain White Rice
- 3 cups Water
- Salt, to taste
- Marinate your steak with 1/2 cup of soy sauce, aji paste and garlic in a glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator until ready to cook.
- In your frying pan, fill it about 1/3 of the way with oil for the potatoes. Remove potatoes from water and pat dry with paper towel. Oil and water don’t mix well! Fry the fries in batches, careful not to crowd the pan. Remove from pan once they are translucent and starting to brown. Place onto a plate covered in paper towel. Once all the fries are cooked once, fry them a second time! This will brown them nicely. Set aside.
- Get your rice cooking. Boil the water, stir in rice. Bring to a boil with salt. Stir a few more times. Turn fire down to low and simmer for 15 min. Set your timer! Once done, remove from heat for 5 min before opening.
- In a separate non-stick pan, heat 1 tsp. vegetable oil before cooking your steak on medium-high heat. With tongs, add steak, reserving liquid until steak is browned. Add liquid for gravy.
- Add onions, cook for 2-3 minutes mixing with steak.
- Add tomatoes, cook for 2 minutes or until warm.
- Add red wine vinegar/red wine and remaining 1/4 cup of soy sauce. Add potatoes. You want there to be gravy and everything to be coated in sauce.
- Fluff rice with a fork, place in 1 cup measuring container and place on plate.
- Serve Lomo Saltado around the rice. Garnish with cilantro.