I would eat this every day if I could but since I’m currently living in Bogota, Colombia, they don’t have it here 😦
Luckily my awesome, awesome mom brought me 3 bottles on a recent visit. I’ve only had it in me to cook it once (and I only used half a bottle!!) because this sauce is the holy grail of sauces. I will try to replicate it with just soy sauce once and see how it turns out… but for now, FIND THIS SAUCE!
My mom’s friend used to make this and then we adopted it over at our house because it was just too good to wait until we got an invite. Over the years we had this at parties, gatherings and possibly even my sweet 15. It’s THAT good. Note: the sauce is salty so there is no need to add extra salt. Trust me.
This stuff is FALL OFF THE BONE good. You’ll make it again and again. I provided a link to Amazon below so you can order it but they sell it at grocery stores in the US.
- Up to 15 bone in, Chicken thighs
- 1 bottle Allegro sauce
- 8 cloves Garlic
- 1 bunch Cilantro, washed
- 1 large Onion, medium dice
- 1 Tbsp black pepper
- Picante (hot sauce), to taste
- Create marinade: In a blender combine Allegro, cilantro, onion and garlic. Blend until smooth and cilantro is incorporated.
- In deep pan, pour part of marinade on the bottom, place part chicken pieces in marinade, pour more marinade and add more chicken and cover with marinade until all chicken is in pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap and marinate for 30 minutes. Alternatively, you can marinate overnight.
- Turn broiler on to 500°F. In shallow pan (with sides) use tongs to remove chicken from marinade to pan (important- set marinade aside, do not dispose). Broil chicken skin side up in oven for 7 minutes, rotate pan and broil for 7 more minutes, getting skin crispy. Set aside.
- Change oven to bake at 350°F.
- Pour marinade in oven safe pot (or have deep baking dish ready to transfer chicken & sauce) and bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Stir a few times. Add chicken to boiling sauce or transfer chicken to deep baking dish and carefully pour sauce on top.
- Bake chicken and sauce for 45 minutes, covered.