The first time I had these, I was at a Spanish tapas restaurant in NYC. They were so delicious and may I add: pri-cy!
One day while out grocery shopping at the local store here in Bogota, Carulla, I saw a bag of dates for about 3,000 COP which is not even $1.00 USD! We were throwing a house party with friends so I got a bag and some bacon and went to town! I mean, bacon makes everything better right? The sweet and the salty are just great.
Bacon & Dates
- 1 bag (24+ pieces) of dates, pitted
- 12 slices of bacon, cut in half horizontally
- toothpicks (approx. 24)
- Cook each 1/2 slice of bacon until 3/4 of the way done. Not crispy or hard, soft but not raw anymore. Place on paper towel to soak up grease.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Take one date and one 1/2 slice of bacon. Starting at one end of the bacon, place date and roll so that bacon covers it. Secure with toothpick.
- Repeat until all dates are rolled in bacon and secured with toothpicks.
- Bake for 15 minutes on foil lined baking sheet.
- Remove dates from oven and transer to paper towels to remove excess grease.
- Allow to cool before serving.
Keep dates at room temperature before serving.