Black Beans can be so hit or miss if you don’t know how to season them properly. After my recent trip back to the US, I picked up some liquid smoke and it made such a difference, I’ve been making them like this ever since. I don’t know what I’ll do when I run out! I highly recommend picking some up and making these.
Liquid Smoke Black Beans
- 1.5 cup of black beans, soaked overnight in water
- 1/4 cup onion, small dice
- 1/4 cup red pepper, small dice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp Better than Bouillon, Low-Sodium Beef Base or buillon cube of choice
- 1-2 bay leaves, whole
- 1/2 juice of lime, approx. 2-4 tbsp
- 1/8 cup olive oil + 1 tbsp
- Splash liquid smoke
- Salt and pepper to taste
- After soaking beans overnight, rinse beans two or three times or more until water runs clear.
- On medium high heat, add tbsp of olive oil to pot with onion, red pepper and garlic. Stir constantly until garlic is fragrant and onions are translucent.
- Add lime juice and stir for one minute, followed by cumin and Beef Base. Stir for another minute.
- Add black beans and enough water to cover beans. Add bay leaf. Bring to boil.
- Lower heat and cook for 2 hours until soft.
- Add a splash of liquid smoke, then stir in olive oil and the salt and pepper once beans are soft.
- Take 1/2 cup of bean/onion mixture and blend/pulse until smooth, add back into the pot and cook for 30 more minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro and serve!