Garlic is the make or break in so many dishes. This is one of those dishes where, if it says 1 whole bulb of garlic, best to use one whole bulb. You’ll see in this first photo that I sliced slits in the meat and put garlic cloves in them. I did this all over and it made for a particularly tasty outcome. The liquid is blended at the end and you don’t need any additional sauce because this recipe has you covered. Dry is the opposite of this recipe!
Pulled Pork Shoulder
Prep time: Approx. 20 minutes, Cook time 6-8 hours on low
- 4-6 lbs. pork shoulder or pork butt
- 1 bulb of garlic, cloves peeled, ends cut off
- 1 cup onion, halved, then quartered
- 1 cup carrot, large rough chop
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeños
- 1/3 cup tomatoes, rough chop
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh groud black pepper
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cumin (optional)
- In the bottom of a pot large enough for your piece of pork, add onion, carrot, jalapeños, and tomatoes. Mix together.
- Take pork and cut slits around the entire piece. Place a clove of garlic all around the meat in these slits.
- Add pork to pot, pour soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce and sprinkle with black pepper.
- Bring pot to a boil for 10 minutes on medium high heat. Do not flip pork.
- Reduce heat to very low and let cook for 6-8 hours, checking at hour 2, to ensure liquid is still there, and at hour 4 and 6 as well. At hour 6, meat should begin to be more tender than tough, if it’s not it’s okay- keep going for hour 7 and 8 and it should fall apart when you try to stab it with a fork.
- Pork will fall apart when you attempt to pick it up out of pot once done. At this point, transfer to cutting board to shred. You may use two forks or a fork and a knife, whichever works for you. Shred meat and allow vegetables and remaining liquid to cool slightly.
- Blend veggies and liquid in blender. Sauce will be thick. Wait to add water to thin it out in next step.
- Add pork to pot, cover with sauce and mix. Bring to warm on low heat, adding additional tablespoons of water if a thinner sauce is desired.
- Serve or portion out for weekly meals!
Very tasty to pair with: Cole Slaw Recipe the texture of the two together are just fantastic!