You’ll want to take the time to caramelize those onions. Trust me. They are such a wonderful flavor in this tart.
The key to the potatoes, is, to slices them super super thin (mandolin anyone?) and if you choose, microwave them for a few to soften them.
On to the recipe!
I made the crust but rather than bore you with my less than average recipe which I totally need to try again, buy one 😉 When my skill level rises I’ll report back!
Potato, Egg & Caramelized Tart
- 1 sheet puff pastry or a frozen pie crust
- 3 cups white or yellow onion, slice thin
- 1 1/2 cups potato, sliced thin*
- 5-6 eggs, scrambled**
- 1/2 stick of butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook puff pastry according to directions in a pie tin or blind bake pie crust as needed. Set aside.
- Ready your onions. In a nonstick pan on medium heat, melt butter slightly and add onions. Stir to coat onions in butter, salt lightly and cover for 5 minutes. Stir onions again, adjust heat to medium low and cover for 5-7 more minutes. Stir and continue until onions a golden brown. Careful not to burn.
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Take shell and begin to layer a few potatoes and some of the caramelized onions, alternating until finished.
- Add salt and pepper to eggs then pour on top of the layers of potato and onion. Shake pan gently to allow egg to settle, add one more egg if necessary, however, egg doesn’t need to fill to the top, it will rise.
- Place tart on top of a cookie sheet incase you spill, and transfer to oven. Bake for 20 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick or skewer. If it comes out clean, it’s ready, otherwise bake for 5-10 more minutes, monitoring it carefully.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool for 10 min before slicing and serve!
*Use a mandolin, carefully, or remove skin from potato and thinly slice with a knife. **Depending how deep your tart or crust is, you may only need 5 eggs. Start with 5 and add one if needed.