Whenever I get a great piece of french bread something tasty is bound to come of it since the base is already so perfect. You can’t go wrong with french bread. It’s perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner meals (can anyone say, garlic bread?).
This recipe is perfect for leftover grilled chicken you might have from a weekend of grilling but I’ve also provided a spicy dry rub recipe that I used, below!
Grilled Chicken on a Toasted Baguette
- 2 chicken breasts, halved*
- Grill with seasoning of your choice or use this dry rub:
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2.5 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 large leaves Kale, washed and dried, stem removed
- 1 cup onions, sliced and fried or use these: Fried Onions
- 1 cup Red Peppers, roasted with 2 tbsp olive oil until soft
- Fresh French Bread, cut into 4 pieces, sliced open
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise of choice
Prepare chicken breast, fried onions and roasted red peppers first. These can be made in advance if you’d like to assemble later.
- To grill chicken with dry rub as provided above, combine each seasoning until mixed well in a shallow pan or plate, then place each chicken breast in the plate one by one, coating each side with seasoning.
- Grill chicken for 3-5 minutes on each side, turning only once, depending on how thin chicken breasts are. Monitor them closely on the first side to ensure you don’t burn them, just slightly blackened.
- Lightly toast french bread until beginning to turn golden. The key is to keep them a bit soft so they aren’t hard to bite once you eat them. Spread mayonnaise on them or use basil mayo.
- Assemble your sandwich! Place chicken on the bottom, add kale, fried onions and red pepper. Serve with a side of seasoned fries and enjoy!
*See video for directions on halving chicken breast here.