I clearly can’t get enough of this wonderful spice blend. I made this ridiculously easy meal since I had a fresh batch of the Za’atar Hummus on hand. I could’ve done without the rice but I couldn’t find any pita at the time! Perhaps my next recipe? 🙂
Ingredients for spices protein
- 8oz protein of choice (I used ground pork, feel free to sub with tofu or Morning Star has sausage crumbles that would taste excellent with this)
- 1/4 cup zucchini, small dice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp diced shallot or onion
- 1 tbsp za’atar spice
- 1 tsp hot sauce/powder of choice
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp parsley + garnish
- 1/2 cups sliced cucumber to garnish, lightly salted
- 1/4 cup Za’atar hummus
Method to prepare ground meat
- Cook ground meat/protein of choice until no longer pink or heated through completely about 5-6 minutes.
- Add shallots and garlic and mix/stir to cook them down.
- Add Za’atar seasoning, zucchini, garlic, salt, pepper, hot sauce and continue to mix as zucchini cooks down. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add pine nuts and cook until lightly toasted about 2 minutes followed by adding the water. Add half, stir to incoporate followed by the other half and stir. Add parsley. Remove from heat.
- Add 1/4 cup hummus on each plate topped by spiced protein, garnish with cucumber and pita or rice, your choice!