My dad is a great cook. This is totally a recipe inspired by him. I remember the first time I remember cutting all the ingredients for this recipe, how meticulously I cut the jalapeños, prepared the tomatoes and onions. How it all came together to make this tasty rice.
Sofrito is not a step to be missed. It makes this recipe. Make sure you have plenty of lime, too, or you won’t quite get the twang it needs. Trust me, you’ll make this a few times a month or once a week, if you love Mexican night as much as I do! And the best part? Once it boils, you pop it in the oven and forget about it until it’s done.
Mexican Style Yellow Rice
Kitchen tools: Oven, blender, aluminum foil
- 2 cups of rice, rinsed until water runs clear
- 1.75 cups of water or broth (+ or – depending on how much sofrito you have)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium sized onion, quartered
- 2 large tomatoes, rough chopped
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/8 cup olives, sliced
- 2, juice of limes + lime juice for garnish
- 1-2 packets of Goya Sazon seasoning
- salt to taste
- Heat oven to 350° F
- In a blender/food processor, blend onion and tomatoes to create sofrito. You will have approximately 1-2 cups. Set aside.
- In an oven safe pot, on medium heat, add oil, garlic and jalapeños and mix until fragrant, careful not to burn garlic.
- Add rice to garlic mixture and mix for 2 minutes, until translucent and slightly golden. Add lime juice and mix. Add Goya Sazon seasoning and tomato paste and mix well.
- Measure sofrito in 1 cup measuring cup and add to rice and mix to incorporate. If you have 1 or two cups of sofrito, add the remaining amount of liquid in water or broth to have 3.75 cups of liquid in the rice, total.
- Taste water to make sure it is salty enough. Add additional salt if needed. Add olives.
- Mix rice well and bring to a boil.
- Turn off stove. Cover rice with aluminum foil and top with oven safe lid. Place rice in oven for 45 minutes, without taking cover off or opening oven.
- Remove rice from oven, remove cover and fluff rice with fork. Garnish with lime juice and cilantro, mix well.